Believe you can, there is no limit to what you can achieve. Don’t underrate yourself, always see yourself at the top even though you are facing difficulties. Never see yourself below the standard of people that are richer or wealthier than you. You can do more than what they’ve done before they attain the position they are. All you need to do is to wait for your own time. Success is no accident; perseverance, hard-work and the love you have for what you are doing will lead you to it. Continue with what you knows best to do, one day it will surely pay you. It may be difficult, tough from the start but if you persevere and remain focus, it will surely make you. If the mistake you made leads to your downfall, don’t see it as the end of your life because the downfall of a man is not the end of his life. He will surely rise again. All you have to do is to map out new strategy and re-brand yourself. Don’t walk with friends that will influence your life negatively and also, avoid making too much of friends. They can pressurize you to do what you don’t have the intention of doing. Trust nobody aside your creator and yourself. Sometimes, you don’t have to trust because one day, you might fail that trust by doing what you are not suppose to do.
Remember that what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger, there is no crime in trial i.e. doing something continuously without losing hope. Get rich or die trying, live for nothing but die for something. Don’t let challenges weigh you down. See suffering as nothing because ‘Suffering sometimes is a platform to success’, yes. Suffering will make you to discover your potentials and weakness quickly. If human beings doesn’t suffer, they will feel relaxed, they won’t reason beyond imagination. If you believe you can, yes you can and if otherwise, that will also be the same. It is what an individual believes in that will work for him/her. Shana Twain, Tom Cruise, Leonardo Di Caprio, Jay Z all suffered before they made it to the top. This should be a motivation for you.
If all these doesn’t convince you enough, lets take a good look into the life of these people:
- She was so poor as a child, she wore a dress made of potato sacks.
- She ran away from at 13 after years of sexual abuse.
- She became pregnant at 14 with a son who died shortly after birth.
- She was so depressed in her late 20’s to the extent of writing a suicide note.
- She was in emotional turmoil in her early 30’s which led her to weight gain and crack cocaine abuse.
- But now, she is the queen of all media + a self made multi-billionaire.
- His mother was murdered when he was 8.
- Become a drug dealer as a teen.
- Arrested 3 times before turning 20 + sentenced to 3 years in prison.
- Shot 9 times outside his grandmother’s home leaving a hole in his jaw.
- But he got his break after 6 years of releasing mix tapes.
- He was violently abused as a child.
- Struggled with relentless anxiety.
- Barely spoke English when he moved to America.
- Told he had no chance to become an actor due to his strong accent.
- Endured 12 years of small roles before getting his big break at age 35.
- He was expelled from school for stealing.
- Used hallucinogen at 13.
- Addicted to alcohol + crack cocaine at 16.
- Face 14 years in jail for joyriding with a gun.
- At 26, collapsed in the street over his crack pipe and awoke covered in blood + vomit.
- Now, Oscar nominated A list actor.
- He dropped out of college.
- Kept getting fired from jobs because of his bad attitude.
- So broke at 32, had to go back to live with his parent.
- Now, one of most influential people in entertainment, worth over $500 million.
- He grew up living in city housing projects.
- Worked for years selling copiers + coffee machines.
- Turned down 217 times for a loan to open his first cafe.
- Laughed at for believing that people would pay more than 50 cents for a cup of coffee.
- Making no money, was tempted to give up his dream while his wife was 7 months pregnant.
- Now, multi-billionaire business legend + cultural icon.
- He was expelled from 14 schools.
- Dropped out of college to pursue acting.
- Went on 1000’s of auditions and still couldn’t get a work.
- Evicted from his apartment, he slept in a bus station for weeks.
- So desperate for money, he took roles in porn movies.
- With $100 to his name, he finally got his big break at age 30.
- He was introduced into acting as a way to overcome his painful shyness.
- Could only get bit parts for over 10 years.
- So unimpressive in his first film, a studio executive told him ‘You’ll never make it in this business‘.
- Worked as a carpenter + stagehand to support his family until he was 35.
- Now, the highest grossing actor in American film history.
- He endured years of brutal physical abuse, often leaving him unconscious.
- Attempted suicide during his childhood.
- Dropped out of high school.
- Started writing to overcome his depression.
- So broke in his late 20’s, he lived in his car.
- Now, actor, director, writer, producer worth over $400 million.
So, is there anybody telling you that you can’t make it in life after facing some challenges? Let me give you these 3 quotes that will drive you through when facing challenges: According to Martin Luther King Jr; “The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy”.
Summer Sanders says “To be a champion, I think you have to see the big picture. It’s not about winning and losing; it’s about everyday hard work and about thriving on a challenge, it’s about embracing the pain that you’ll experience at the end of a race and not being afraid. I think people think too hard and get afraid of a certain challenge”
Dalai Lama ” When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways- either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength”.
Believe you can make it in life and it will surely happen. See yourself as a legend. Legends keep fighting, legends never quit. Challenges serves as a distraction in one’s life, we don’t need to allow it control our lives. Believe you can, overcome the challenges.
This piece is part of our motivational talk on African View.